Monday, December 31, 2012

The Hat

Imagine my surprise when I walked into the kitchen this morning to find my mother all dressed and sporting a baseball cap.  This isn't your normal baseball cap -- it is made of plush rose-colored corduroy and is somewhat "fluffy" so I will call it a hat and not a cap.  But it does have a baseball cap styled brim.

When I asked what the occasion was that called for a fancy hat, she looked like I had grown a second head.   So...I switched to the straight-forward approach:

Me:  Why are you wearing that hat?
Mom:  What hat?
Me:  The one on your head.
Mom:  I'M NOT WEARING A HAT!

(I give her a quizzical look.  I cannot imagine how she is unaware of the hat -- the brim is half over her eyes.  She puts her hands to her head and discovers the hat.  Now, she has a quizzical look.) 

Mom:  Who put that there?
Me:  I think you must have.  Did you find it in your closet?
Mom:  No.  (Then she mumbles something which I will take for "I don't know anything about it." although it sounded more rude than that.)

(The hat has been in her closet for several years.  I suppose she has been "rearranging" things again and it surfaced.  She puts the hat back on, eats her breakfast and goes off for her morning nap.  I wonder if she slept in the hat.)

 Now, if only her fashion sense would lend itself to clean clothes.








No comments:

Post a Comment